Alright, so near our house we had a Japanese restaurant called Sho Guns. Whenever my husband and I would have a date night, this was our go to place. It was a hibachi style restaurant that had DELICIOUS steak and fried rice. But the thing that made it the best was a sauce called Yum Yum sauce. it was divine. Sadly it closed just recently. We tried the other hibachi place in town, Osaka, but they did not have the yum yum sauce. The meal just didn’t taste complete.
Well last night I decided to make my own fried rice, chicken, and yum yum sauce. Total success. The yum yum sauce isn’t as good as the one from Sho Guns, but it did its job. My husband said this was his favorite meal, and if I wanted to make it again, like say tonight, and tomorrow night, and the next night, he would totally be fine with it. (hahaha instead tonight we are making homemade pizza, and tomorrow I will make this meal again. )
Alright so here is my now famous recipe:
- Thaw, cut off fat, cut into bite size chunks.
- Mix together a cup of milk and one egg, pour into a glass bowl or zip lock baggy with chicken. (Amount of chicken varies on how many people you are feeding, I used 3 boneless breast for PJ, Rhem, and myself and probably should have done one more breast) Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In separate bowl combine:
- 1/2 cup of Flour
- 2tbs of powder sugar
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- (I also added a little garlic powder because I add garlic to EVERYTHING)
- When you are read to cook the chicken, place chicken in the flour mixture and coat chicken, place into a heated pan with 2tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, let brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side. (until all the way cooked through) After chicken is cooked place on a plate.
Sweet & Spicy Sauce for Chicken:
Disclaimer: I did not measure ingredients, so I am estimating what I used… you can simply follow my instructions, then taste and add more of honey for more sweetness, or more sriracha for more heat.
- In a small pot combine:
- 1 tbs of Sriracha Sauce
- 1-2 tbs of Honey
- 1tsp of Brown Sugar
- 1tbs of Soy Sauce
- 1tsp of EVOO
- Heat until sugar is dissolved. Taste, add more honey if needed. Once the taste is perfect, add chicken and stir until completely coated. Serve.
- Make some white rice, I made 2 servings of minute rice. (obviously you could use different rice if trying to eat healthier, but I love white rice) After cooked put to the side.
- In a large skillet put a little EVOO over medium heat. Add some of your favorite veggies cut into small pieces. (I did peas, corn, and broccoli) Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are cooked with a little crunch left in them.
- Move Veggies to the side and add 1-3 whisked eggs. Scramble eggs and mix with veggies.
- Move veggies & eggs to the side and put down 1tbs of butter. Once butter melts, add rice. Stir all together. The add soy sauce until desired taste. and let cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Serve.
Yum Yum Sauce:
This is to pour on your rice, or dip your chicken into! (also good with steak!) Make night before!!
- 1 1/4 C Mayo
- 2tbs of Tomato Paste
- 1/4tsp of Paprika
- 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1tsp of Sugar
- A dash of Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 C of water
- 1tbs of melted butter
Mix all ingredients together in a small glass bowl, cover and refrigerate over night so the ingredients can marinate together.
Mmm. delicious! I failed to get a picture of the meal plated up, but here are some pictures of the cookie process.
I ended up leaving some of the chicken without the sweet and spicy sauce for Rhem, because I wasn’t sure if she would think it was too spicy.
If you end up making it, let me know how you liked it! 🙂